The Tier 2 or Tier 3 program that I think could be cut or reduced is...

Star Tran bus routes ($190K)

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex Andersen commented  · 

I live on the 54 route and last year I also had 56 Neighborhood South going by my home. When that was cut i had to start taking 54 or 44 O ST/SCC which are often late due to the way the scheduling is. The reason it has low ridership is not because of where it goes, but when it gets to where it goes. The 54 Vet's Hospital literally follows 44 up till 44th street on Saturday because they both leave at the same time all day on Saturday, and then meet back up at Westfield Gateway Mall at the same time all day. Weekdays the route leaves 5 minutes before or after the 44 on peak service hours. On Saturday, the route could/should be set to leave at 5 or 10 after so that if you are coming off of 41 Havelock or 51/52 West A/Gaslight, you do not have to wait 30 to 45 minutes for your bus when all the others leave at 30. Cutting service needs to stop. Eventually there will be no bus service to cut at all. Instead Lincoln needs to go and find ways to bring more money into the bus system such as a day pass that other cities offer so instead of getting a change card when you pay with $2 you can pay $3 and get a day pass good for unlimited use all day. Tourist and others won't use the system if its not good anywhere else, along with the fact that change cards expire when they aren't supposed to. Another option could be to charge 5 to 10 cents for transfers like Omaha does. One other thing that should be done is to restart express service on streets like O Street & Normal Blvd/Capitol Pky. to speed up the process of getting to downtown or outer Lincoln.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Why are we thinking of cutting a route that carries over 200 passengers a day. That is why this service is here. If you want to make the bus service a better system. Quit giving it away for free($7.50 a month should be raised to 20 or 25 dollars a month for everyone. Lets get real. $7.50 a month isn't even 2 dollars a week or less than .40 cents a day if riding only 5 days a week. If you make 2 round trips a day, thats only a dime a trip. Takes 40 riders a trip to pay for 1 gallon of diesel. Come people that make these decisions, get a clue. Raise the rates of the monthly passes.

• AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) commented  · 

Summary

If you vote for this item to CUT, then you are suggesting that the City should eliminate the #54-Veteran’s Hospital route that operates between downtown and 84th Street from 6:05AM to 7:10PM on weekdays and 6:30AM to 6:30PM on Saturdays. If you do NOT vote to cut this item, you are suggesting that funds be allocated to keep the #54 route.

Background Information

This route provides service every half-hour during weekday morning and afternoon peak periods, and approximately every hour during weekday mid-days and on Saturdays. The route operates within east-central Lincoln, south of “O” Street, through residential areas. Major activity centers served include Westfield Mall, Veteran’s Hospital and St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center. The route has the lowest ridership of all routes with 5,700 riders per month compared to 6,300 riders per month of the next lowest ridership route.

Implications and Consequences of CUTTING this item

If this route is eliminated...
        ● Lefler Middle School students who use this route to get to and from school would have to find alternate transportation.
        ● Riders using the route to get to work and shopping would have to find alternate transportation.
        ● No proximate transit services would serve the east-central portion of Lincoln.

Feedback and Knowledge Base