The Tier 2 or Tier 3 program that I think could be cut or reduced is...

Non-injury traffic accident reporting ($140K)

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) commented  · 

A discussant at the takingcharge2011discussion.iforums.us site noted that:

" Persons who are are uninsured motorists at fault in accidents have their licenses suspended by using the officers' report to determine a reasonable possibility of judgment. The reports are also used to determine safety conditions of roads and for reporting accident statistics for statistical studies. If Lincoln decides to stop these reports there is a possibility that those accidents that are non-injury will no longer contribute to the identification of unsafe road conditions, study of accident statisitics, and for suspension of driver licenses of uninsured motorists. It may still be time to curtail the non-injury accident reports, but understand what all these reports are used for in making that decision. The copy of the uninsured motorist suspension statute is posted below." [at the link below']

see: http://takingcharge2011discussion.iforums.us/vp135.html#135

• Jeenyus I ain't commented  · 

When did they stop writing tickets? These calls are not for convenience of insurance companies but for protection of citizens from their insurance companies. If both parties have the same insurance company they will both have to pay deductibles in most cases. Now that's convenience for insurance companies. I can site a glaring example if asked. Mike

• Anonymous commented  · 

Having been in law enforcement for over 40 yrs. working non-injury crashes is done PRIMARILY for the insurance companies. That's why we pay premiums...to have our agents determine FAULT. Police/Sheriff/Patrol do NOT determine fault. But, by NOT working these crashes, income from citations will drop.

• Drib3 commented  · 

Police Officers do not write tickets now if no witnesses were at the scene of the accident. If you are involved in a traffice accident, you have to submit a motor vehicle accident report to the State anyway. I really don't see how cutting this would actually change the current practice so why not cut and save the funds for more needed programs.

• AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) commented  · 

Summary

If you vote for this item to be CUT, then you are suggesting that police officers should not continue to investigate non-injury vehicle accident reports. If you do NOT vote to cut this item, you are suggesting that police officers should continue to investigate non-injury vehicle accident reports.

Background Information

The Police Department investigates traffic crashes and completes an Investigator’s Motor Vehicle Accident Report even in situations where no one is injured. The City does this mainly as a convenience for drivers and their insurance companies. Last year, Police Officers investigated about 6,925 non-injury accidents. The amount of time spent on the investigation and the report was equal to 2.5 police officers.

Implications and Consequences of CUTTING this item

If the service were eliminated for non-injury crashes...
        ● Officers would still respond to traffic crashes when summoned and would protect the scene until the vehicles are moved; would confirm that the drivers are licensed, insured, and sober; would assist citizens in arranging for a wrecker and transportation, but would not conduct further investigation, nor complete an Investigators Motor Vehicle Accident Report.
        ● Traffic tickets could only be issued for no insurance, no driver’s license, or driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
        ● Citizens in such crashes would still need to complete a driver’s accident report for the State Department of Roads (when required by State law).
        ● Drivers would be wholly reliant on their insurance companies for any determination of cause, contributing factors and for claims adjustment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base