The Tier 2 or Tier 3 program that I think could be cut or reduced is...

Maintenance of street trees ($500K)

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) commented  · 

Summary

If you vote for this item to be CUT, then you are suggesting that the $1.0 million Community Forestry budget be cut by $500,000. If you do NOT choose to cut this item, then you are suggesting that the Community Forestry budget should be kept at its current level.

Background Information

Presently Lincoln’s 87,000 street trees are managed by 14 licensed arborists and two supervisors. The number of street trees increases by about 2,300 trees annually as new trees are planted in new subdivisions. Arborists assist with mowing park areas early in the growing season, and parks maintenance staff assist with pruning young street trees during winter months. Arboricultural standards recommend that trees be pruned on a seven to ten year cycle to maintain the optimum condition of mature trees and to minimize public safety risks resulting from deferred maintenance and inspection of street trees. Presently, Lincoln’s street trees are pruned on approximately a 10-year cycle.

Implications and Consequences of CUTTING this item

If the Forestry budget is cut by $500,000...
        ● Staffing and equipment for two crews and a supervisory position would be eliminated.
        ● The street tree pruning cycle would be extended to about 20 years.
        ● The City would likely face an increased number of financial claims for personal and property damage caused by City trees.

Feedback and Knowledge Base