The Tier 2 or Tier 3 program that I think could be cut or reduced is...

Fire station ($900K)

23 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Interim Fire Chief John Huff commented  · 

In response to the insurance question below, the Insurance services office rates Lincoln as a class 3 city. ISO is used by some insurance companies to set insurance rates, however not all insurance companies. The ISO rating system is multi faceted and used various critera including the city water supply, 911 system and fire department. For more details, see http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/fire/admin/iso.htm
        Interim Fire Chief John Huff

• Jeenyus I ain't commented  · 

We would have to pay $405,000 in penalties. I'd rather look at ways to send more calls to this station instead of other stations.

• Anonymous commented  · 

My understanding is that home fire insurance premiums are based on a city wide response time. If the response time increases will that cause everyones insurance premium to increase?

• AdminTaking Charge Admin (Admin, Taking Charge) commented  · 

Summary

If you vote for this item to be CUT, then you are suggesting that the fire station with lowest call volume should be eliminated, and emergency calls should be dispersed to the remaining 13 stations. If you do NOT vote to cut this item, you are suggesting the fire station be kept.

Background Information

In 2010, the station with the lowest call volume had 329 requests for service, compared to the average of 3,144 for the City’s other stations.

Implications and Consequences of CUTTING this item

If the station is closed...
        ● Nine Firefighter and three Captain positions would be eliminated.
        ● Response times could increase by 4-5 minutes, making the average response time 9-10 minutes for areas most distant from the eliminated station.
        ● In order for this service reduction to be implemented, the city contract with the firefighters would have to be altered.
        ● Further, an estimated $405,000 in penalties will be levied against the city for staff reduction in conflict with a federal fire-fighting grant (SAFER) that was accepted by the City to reduce the costs of paying for additional firefighters.

Feedback and Knowledge Base